Emma Browne is an occupational therapist who has decided to make use of the art of travel to explore different occupations.
She is one of my good friends from varsity who I qualified with and is now currently based in the United Kingdom (UK) and traveling at every opportunity she gets.
I had the opportunity to catch up with Emma to find out where she is in life and how she manages to travel so much, based on her amazing Instagram photos.
Here’s how our interview went:
1) WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT AREA OF WORK?
- I am a matron (AKA Gap-year matron assistant) at a boarding prep (boarding) school in England.
2) HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN IN THIS FIELD?
- I have worked in this position for 15 months (we work school terms & out of a year we have approximately 18 weeks holiday – how amazing is that?!)
3) WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT YOUR JOB?
- I love the fact that the work is not very cognitively demanding and I can use my spare time to plan my travels and holidays. It’s laundry and tidying majority of the time as well as lots of time with children so you must love working with kids!
4) WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO BE IN THIS FIELD ( AGE, EDUCATION, SPECIAL SKILLS ETC.) ?
- This position is mainly filled by school-leavers (therefore from the age of 18 on wards), the U.K. prep schools love having matrons and ‘gap students’ from the Southern hemisphere to expose the boys to different cultures. Generally you need pastoral skills and to be a nurturing and observant person and someone who LOVES working with children (even at 3AM when they wake you having had a nightmare!!)
5) DO YOU NEED TO HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE OR QUALIFICATION TO BE IN YOUR PROFESSION?
- Not at all – purely just a willing spirit and experience in working with children.
6) HOW MANY COUNTRIES HAVE YOU TRAVELED TO?
- I have focused on exploring the U.K as I don’t need a Schengan Visa (unlike for travel in the rest of Europe). I am here for 5 years (to obtain my ancestry visa I need to spend 5 years and that’s why I’m in no rush). I have been to Scotland, France and Norway and Spain (yay!) At the moment I am on holiday in London where I have been living (working five jobs) doing local big events like Buckingham palace garden parties and royal Ascot races. I also worked at and got to watch the Killers live at Hyde Park too.
7) WHICH COUNTRY WAS YOUR FAVOURITE?
- Spain… I also went to Malaga to do a yoga retreat! This is why I LOVE my job
8) WHERE IS YOUR NEXT TRAVEL DESTINATION?
- On Tuesday in a week I go to nanny an hour out of Toulouse in the south-west of France for a month.
- All flights are included and a very high weekly pay! The opportunities are endless.
- I’m house or dog sitting currently! (:D)
Keep up with Emma on Instagram : @emma_browne24
Well, certainly Emma is enjoying life travelling and doing a lot of fun things that she generally loves. I’m so happy to see her this satisfied in her job. So , for this position you definitely don’t need a degree and it is a good opportunity to travel the world for your Gap year after matric. Who wouldn’t mind doing this fun occupation? (ME!)
Until next time, stay humbled, focused and dedicated to your dreams.